Lock problem

Urban Widmark urban at teststation.com
Sat Jan 12 08:41:05 GMT 2002

On Fri, 4 Jan 2002, Pietro wrote:

> Thanks Urban, your help has been very usefull. I see much more clear now.
> Unfortunately, i can't use the experimental patch because the system is
> in production and i can't test it with the patch. :(
> May be i can use nfs with nfslock to do the trick.

That is understandable. NFS could certainly be worth testing.

> Of course, using locks with smbfs is the cleanest way to work and i want
> the patch to test it in other applications.

The patches for smbfs are (finally) available at:
	http://www.hojdpunkten.ac.se/054/samba/index.html

You want the smbfs-2.4.17-2.5.patch.gz patch and apply that to a 2.4.17
kernel.

The features include:
	Large File Support (>2G files)
	Unicode Support
	Support for fcntl locking and oplocks

The first 2 require changes to smbmount to become "active". But for
testing the locking you don't need to make any changes to smbmount.

Sorry for the delay in responding with the link. I found some problems
with the code the locking code depends on, and it seemed pointless giving
you a patch that I knew would crash your machine.

The locking code has a few known problems still, so don't expect it to
work (it may, but assume that it will fail :)

/Urban