Samba 2.2.2 Capabilities

Michael Jennings mej at kainx.org
Fri Jan 11 15:06:08 GMT 2002

Forgive my ignorance; I'm a UNIX person, not a Windows person.  And
please feel free to point me to documentation if there is any on this
topic...I was unable to find any.

I need to set up a series of workstations running Linux (RH variant,
Samba 2.2.2) which have no local authentication information, but
rather use PAM and winbind to authenticate against a Win2k Active
Directory server.  According to the winbind documentation, I need to
set up a machine trust account to enable this.

Does the command:

  smbpasswd -j DOMAIN -r win2kads -U user -m

need to be issued every time the Linux boxes are booted?  And must a
password be given each time, if so?

Also, does the "user" account passed to -U require administrative
privileges?  If so, why is this not needed for normal Windows boxes to
join a domain?  Perhaps there is something I'm neglecting to do on the
2k/ADS side of things?

On the flip side, is it possible for Samba 2.x/3.0 to act as an ADS
server? at least to the point where one can use the pretty little
Active Directory admin tools to control it? :-)

Any and all help appreciated.

Thanks,
Michael

--