Setup question

Jay Paulson jpaulson at lbjs.com
Fri Jan 11 13:26:13 GMT 2002

We run an NT domain on a medium size network and I'm trying to set up a Linux samba server.  I'm a total newbie at this so bear with me. I've got the system up and running Samba 2.2.2 I can see the samba server in network neighborhood from my PC however I can't access it (I receive the error message "The network path not found").  I have added the Samba server to the PDC and joined the network using the smbpasswd it said it has joined the network, but now when I run the same command I get an NT_STATUS_ACCESS_DENIED error.  I run nmblookup <nameofsambaserver> and it returns to me:

querying <nameofsambaserver> on 192.168.0.255
name_query failed to find name <nameofsambaserver>

However, when I run the nmblookup command on a machine on the network it finds it just fine. When I run nmblookup -B <nameofdomainserver> <nameofsambaserver> it returns this:

querying <nameofsambaserver> on 0.0.0.0
192.168.0.137 <nameofsambaserver><00>

The ip address is the ip f the samba server.  I've got the remote access = 192.168.0.255 which is the broadcast.  I'm running nmbd as a Deamon on port 137.  I have encrypt password turn on and all the things that I've read and been told to change in the smb.conf file when setting it up on an NT Domain network. I'm running out of ideas and hitting road blocks now.

Thanks.