FW: samba 2.2.2 install

Tony Nichols tony at mail.applog.com
Fri Jan 11 13:11:04 GMT 2002

www.rpmfind.com works ok ...

T o n y

A.G. (Tony) Nichols
I.S. Manager
Appalachian Log Structures Inc.
www.applog.com
tony at mail.applog.com
888-999-2574 x124

-----Original Message-----
From: samba-admin at lists.samba.org [mailto:samba-admin at lists.samba.org]
On Behalf Of Urban Widmark
Sent: Friday, January 11, 2002 3:10 PM
To: James Bear
Cc: samba at lists.samba.org
Subject: Re: samba 2.2.2 install

On Fri, 11 Jan 2002, James Bear wrote:

> It doesn't matter because I need 2.2.2 to be the samba working.  I am
> guessing I should have uninstalled samba before I installed 2.2.2, but

> you know...and now I don't want to uninstall it because it's all I
> got.

But it's not working. Just get rid of it. rpm -e saves files marked as
configuration files (eg /etc/samba/smb.conf) so if you had started
configuring things it won't be lost.

Since you didn't uninstall, the old swat version was found. If you had
uninstalled it wouldn't have found anything, because you haven't told
anyone where to start swat.

But as I said before, using the rpms is easier.

> There was some advice given on how to find an rpm on the
> rawhide.redhat ftp site.  If it's there, it's tough to find.  I've got

> my box currently searching for it and we'll see, once we find it, how
> that works

I can't point you to your local mirror, I can point you to mine:
http://ftp.sunet.se/pub/Linux/distributions/redhat/redhat/linux/rawhide/

And then get:
	SRPMS/SRPMS/samba-2.2.2-8.src.rpm
or:
	i386/RedHat/RPMS/samba-2.2.2-8.i386.rpm
	i386/RedHat/RPMS/samba-client-2.2.2-8.i386.rpm
	i386/RedHat/RPMS/samba-common-2.2.2-8.i386.rpm
	i386/RedHat/RPMS/samba-swat-2.2.2-8.i386.rpm

The advantage of the src.rpm is mostly that the binaries may not work if
your system is too different from the rawhide one (typically library
versions). That can be a problem for a src.rpm too, but they are usually
more tolerant.

Find a better mirror here:
	http://www.redhat.com/download/mirror.html
(the paths will be different up to the redhat part)

/Urban

Tracking #: 7DB62CC385DCC74B877B81A88BD3D506093022C8