Question regarding accessing Samba from Windows 2000

Gourgy, Mona Mona.Gourgy at stelco.ca
Fri Jan 11 12:27:32 GMT 2002

Hi,

I have configured samba on our HP-UX 11.0 server with hptest as the server
name.  I used the smb.conf file and tested using testparm.

To start the smb daemons, I used the following commands:

/opt/samba/bin/smbd -D
/opt/samba/bin/nmbd -D

Finally, I tested the samba daemons using:  smbclient -U% -L hptest

All of this seems to run okay.  The problem is that I cannot see the samba
server from Network Neighborhood in the hptest folder.  I'm running on
Windows 2000, but I used your Windows NT documentation to setup my PC.  My
PC is pingable and DNS and WINS are working properly.  I tried to connect
using: Start, Run, \\hptest, but I get the following error message:  The
filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect.  Can you
please give me some direction to what I might be doing wrong?  Thanks for
your time and help.

Mona Gourgy
Information Systems
Stelco Inc.