Mapped drives on XP

Jeff Rasnick rasnickj at hotmail.com
Fri Jan 11 10:29:04 GMT 2002

I think I have this working now, thanks.

  Hi, I'm new to Samba and Linux and trying to set up Samba 2.2.2 on a Linux (SuSE) machine so my XP machine on the domain can map a drive to a directory on the Linux box.

  My problem is that the only way I can get the mapped drive to connect is to use the root user name and password.  For any other user I cannot connect.  What also is weird is that I have two other users on the Linux Box 'jeff' and 'michael' (I have added these two users to smbpasswd).  If I try to enter the user name as jeff (with appropriate password) when mapping the drive, the user name and password dialog just keeps popping up.  No error, it just displays over and over.  But if I enter the user name michael (with password) I get an error saying  "The network path \\servername\share could not be found."  The same steps with root and I connect.

  Does anyone have any idea why I can't connect using any other user?

  My sbm.conf file is very simple (as I am just trying to connect, nothing else right now).  Here it is:

  [global]
    workgroup = WORK
    encrypt passwords = yes

  [test]