problem with smb connections closing

Buskill, Bruce M bbuskill at RADFORD.EDU
Fri Jan 11 06:58:33 GMT 2002

Hello, we have recently installed Samba 2.2.2 on our
Unix server that contains all of our users home directories.
We have changed all of our Windows user accounts so that when
they log in, their home directories from the Unix server is
mapped as their H: drive.

This works fine when a user logs in, but if they log
off and immediately log back in their home drive is
not automatically mapped.

After more research we found that the connection/process
on the Unix Samba server is not closed until about 60
seconds after they log out of the workstation and if they
try to log back in before this connection is closed it does
not work.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Below is the smb.conf of the server as well as the
entry we see in the log file when the connection is
finally broken. Thank you for your interest and time.

[global]

   log level = 1
   guest ok = no
   workgroup = EDUSHARE
   server string = "NetBIOS name"
   log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
   max log size = 100

   encrypt passwords = yes
   security = server
   password server = password-server1 password-server2 password-server3

   hide dot files = yes
   fstype = Samba

   wins server = "ip address for wins server"

   deadtime = 240
   dns proxy = yes
   keep alive = 60

Log entries right after a failure to re-connect:

[2001/12/19 10:48:07, 0] libsmb/clientgen.c:cli_send_smb(88)
  Error writing 170 bytes to client. -1
[2001/12/19 10:48:07, 0] lib/util_sock.c:read_socket_with_timeout(300)
  read_socket_with_timeout: timeout read. read error = Connection reset
by peer. [2001/12/19 10:48:07, 1] smbd/password.c:server_validate(1227)
  password server  rejected the password

Bruce Buskill
Computer Systems Engineer - System Administrator
Radford University
bbuskill at radford.edu            (540) 831-6222