PC Connectivity

Andrew Hood andy_hood at hotmail.com
Fri Jan 11 06:48:48 GMT 2002

I am looking after a Linux server running Samba.

There is a fileshare which is visible, via Appletalk, to Macs.  Despite all
my attempts, though, I cannot get any PC (98, NT or 2000) to access this
share.  They can see the device, and attempt to log on.  The PC's demand an
authorisation password for Username "\\Samba\IPC$", which I understand can
happen when there is a cleartext/encrypted password problem;  the NT
machines ask for a normal authentication but when you put a valid
username/password combination in, the box disappears and appears again,
blank.

I have tried setting up Samba to use encrypted passwords (and use the fully
updated smbpasswd file) and I have tried patching the registry on one
Win98SE machine.  No joy.  I have also tried to make the share entirely
public, to no avail.

I can control the Samba server through Internet Explorer, using it's IP
address as the address, and I can ping it from a PC.  The one thing which
seems to my (ill-linux-educated) mind to be of significance is that I cannot
ping ANY devices from the Linux command line.  I have used the AllowHosts
option in smb.conf, but I cannot make it work.

Does anybody have any ideas as to what I could try next.  Any help would be
much appreciated as I have about 10 people repeatedly asking me how long it
will be until I can fix this device.

Thanks in Advance

Desperate Andy.