SOLVED: NT_STATUS_NO_TRUST_SAM_ACCOUNT - but not the common mista ke

Thomas, Daniel J. Daniel.Thomas at jhuapl.edu
Fri Jan 11 05:58:03 GMT 2002

Thanks Everyone for your help!
	Scott Mann was quick to respond and coincidently his solution worked
for me.  I think probably the major part was we had a MACHINE.SID file
already in the directory.  Apparently it is created when you build the
distribution 2.2.2 on Solaris 2.8.  After we deleted these files and added
the domain as an alias in the host file (same address as the PDC) we were
able to join the domain.  We made sure we deleted the computer account on
the PDC and gate the domain time to synchronize before we re-added the
account and attempted to join again.  We also found that there is a distinct
difference between "security = domain" and "domain logins = yes".  We had
set and although we told the samba server to NOT be a master browser (not
participate in browser elections) and told it NOT to act as a PDC, it
instead decided it would be a BDC and saw showing up as "Windows NT 4.5
Backup" on my NT Server Manager.  In any event, I'm including everyone's
e-mail because they all included some helpful information on the topic.
We'll have to try the new "-U administrator" option and see if I can join
the domain w/ out creating the computer account first.  We'll see what
happens.

Thanks all!
-Daniel Thomas
Assistant Systems Administrator
Johns Hopkins Applied Physics Lab
Laurel, MD.

 <<Re: NT_STATUS_NO_TRUST_SAM_ACCOUNT - but not the common mistake>>  <<Re: