Coming back to samba - questions on new technology

Yan Seiner yan at cardinalengineering.com
Fri Jan 11 05:35:04 GMT 2002

Thanks for the answer.  I am trying to avoid NFS.

I have no *nix clients on my network.  In fact, I disallow logins for
all of my users.  I have configured all services they need (like POP) to
use pam_smb_auth to use the samba server for its authentication.  Like so:

auth        sufficient    /lib/security/pam_smb_auth.so
auth        sufficient    /lib/security/pam_unix.so likeauth nullok md5
shadow

As all user access is through samba.  That's why I am looking at
winbind.  I may need to read the list archives a little more; that's
where I first got the idea.

I figure if I stay consistent w/ samba, I won't have password sync
issues between *nix, windows, and servers.

--Yan