question: samba file sharing with ldap user db without having "unix users"?

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at pcug.org.au
Thu Jan 10 13:33:05 GMT 2002

Ben Gras wrote:

> All,
>
> Suppose I want to build a file server that will let users share
> their files using samba, but without requiring them having an entry
> in a passwd file, to make adding & removing users a bit less
> error/security-bug prone.. the samba server could set it's uid to
> the uid in the ldap directory for that user to allow the FS to
> seperate each other's files using uid's..
>
> Building samba-2.2.2 --with-ldapsam stil requires a unix passwd file
> entry, AFAICS..

I'm looking at various insane ideas in this area.  Currently the Samba
Team policy is that all users should have an entry in whatever
getpwnam() looks up.  In your case this can be done with (assuming
linux) nss_ldap.  I'm looking into how this might be done 'more
flexibly' :-) but this should do for you.

Andrew Bartlett

Andrew Bartlett                                 abartlet at pcug.org.au
Manager, Authentication Subsystems, Samba Team  abartlet at samba.org
Student Network Administrator, Hawker College   abartlet at hawkerc.net