NT_STATUS_NO_TRUST_SAM_ACCOUNT - but not the common mistake

Thomas, Daniel J. Daniel.Thomas at jhuapl.edu
Thu Jan 10 11:08:03 GMT 2002

Hi,
I'm a Microsoft Sys Admin trying to help our UNIX Sys Admin join a SUN box
running the newest version of Solaris to my NT Domain so that Windows
workstations can authenticate through my Domain Controllers to access
resources on her Samba shares.  We have read through the samba how-to's and
consulted two different samba books, and we still have the same issues.

First I created a machine account from my PDC for the SUN server named
JUNEAU (We were not sure about case so we made sure netbios name=JUNEAU as
it appears in the Server Administrator application).

Next, we ran the smbpasswd command

smbpasswd -j WALNETNT -r MAX

where WALNETNT is the name of my domain and MAX is the name of my PDC

We get returned an error message which basically says that the creation of
the account password failed because of NT_STATUS_NO_TRUST_SAM_ACCOUNT.

I've looked through many samba message board threads and answer to this
problem is always the same:  Make sure you create a new machine account on
your PDC for your samba server (I just said I did this).  Make sure that the
account did not previously exist (There was never a PC or any other machine
on my domain named JUNEAU).

Both machines are on the same V-LAN and Subnet.  They can ping each other.
I have a WINS server up and running if it helps any, though the two samba
books I read has WINS off in the smb.conf file.  The only thing that isn't
cut and dry that I can see is that they are not on the same switch.  They
are located in two different buildings on two different switches, but they
both use the same gateway and are on the same subnet and I have no problems
adding NT/Win2k machines to the domain from the same area.  I do have a BDC
for this domain online in that building (on the same switch), but I don't
think that helps since the instructions want you to specify a PDC, not a
BDC.

I'd appreciate any suggestions you can give or any resources you can point
me to.

Thanks,
-Dan Thomas
Systems Administrator