Samba 2.2.2 installation gives me 2.2.0a !?

Dimitry Vink dimitry_vink at hotmail.com
Thu Jan 10 09:01:16 GMT 2002

Hello all,

While talking to you about my printer installation problem (still ongoing
btw) I realised, I was still running Samba 2.2.0a instead of 2.2.2 . So, I
thought to do it all over again.

I downloaded the source package called  "samba-latest.tar.gz"  from the
Samba ftp server again, configured it, complied & installed it. No problem.
I did this before (at least, I thought).

Samba is running alright, but ... when I check the version it is STILL
2.2.0a !!!!  (for instance command 'smbstatus' gives me the version
I don't get it, how come??!

I run SuSE 7.2 and I found the samba files installed in this directory:
/usr/local/samba/

What am I doing wrong here?? Anyone?

Thanks,
Dimitry