Samba 2.2.2. and Win 2000 Domains Problem

MCCALL,DON (HP-USA,ex1) don_mccall at hp.com
Thu Jan 10 07:34:29 GMT 2002

Hi Snoopy,
I've had problems like this in the past, and based on your
log file, the indication is that the machine account password
between the samba machine and the win2k machine is out of sync.
Instead of depending on the smbpasswd command to CREATE the
machine account on the w2k server, do the following instead:
1. stop samba
2. go onto the wk2 machine and get to the microsoft console
plugin for users and computers, and RESET the machine account
for the samba machine.  Also make sure that the box that says
'allow pre-win2k machines to use this account' is checked.
THEN use
smbpasswd -j domain -r pdc-name

and see if this doesn't work for you.
Hope this helps,