problems win 95 connection via winbind and M$-PDC to a samba222 share

Ahmed RAHAL arahal at taranis-services.fr
Thu Jan 10 06:28:07 GMT 2002

Hi,

>my problem is the following:
>if the win95 clients are logging on to the PDC and the login script wants
>to mount the NAS device sharing they get a "enter password"-question.
>Then Win98se machines logging on to the same PDC are not getting the
>question...(wondering!)...they are successfully authenticated and connected
to the NAS.

>can somebody tell me why this can happen....?!?!
>Did somebody have seen the same behavior already ?!?

usually, this behaviour comes from password encryption,
supported on W98 but not on W95.
You'll need to switch to non encrypted passwords,
and "force" everybody else (W98/nt/2000) to send
passwords in cleartext.
I wonder if this is resolvable by using different
smb.conf files ...

but maybe this comes from another problem.

bye

Ahmed RAHAL,
Taranis Services S.A.