Unable to join Win2k Pro SP2 to Samba 2.2.2 PDC

Kohei Yoshida kyoshida at mesco.com
Thu Jan 10 06:25:04 GMT 2002

On Wed, 2002-01-09 at 22:22, Gerald (Jerry) Carter wrote:
> On 9 Jan 2002, Kohei Yoshida wrote:
>
> > Unfortunately there is no other way to join win2k without using "add
> > user script".  So you need to go ahead and implement it.  Just to
> > clarify, "add user script" is for adding *machine accounts*, not for
> > adding ordinary *users* (I know it's a bit confusing).  For adding
> > users, your method is the way to go.
>
> No entirely true.  The "add user script" is only run when a getpwnam()
> call failed during an authentication request.  You can manually create the
> /etc/passwd entries, but you are corrcet in that the root account entry in
> smbpasswd is a necessity.

Thanks for the correction. :)  I've tested it just now without the add
user script, and yes, it does work!  I don't know how I was lead to
believe what I believed, but the discussions some users had way back in
July seem to have suggested the use of the add user script for win2k,
and that's also how it _seemed_ to work on me back then.

I learned one new thing today.  This is one of the benefits of being on
a public mailing list.

Kohei