help can't join my w2k

Dennis Micheelsen sak at 12move.dk
Thu Jan 10 05:33:05 GMT 2002

Hejsa/hello LBaxter,

reply on Thursday, January 10, 2002, 2:03:31 PM:

LBaxter> We recently struggled with exactly this problem, and after several hours
LBaxter> figured it out.  It isn't in docs, but:

LBaxter> On the W2k domain controller, when you add the computer account for the
LBaxter> SAMBA machine, you need to click the little check box that says that this is
LBaxter> an NT member 4.0 server.  The problem, for us, was that it was failing
LBaxter> authentication.  I think the reason was that MS has changed the machine
LBaxter> authentication algorithm/protocal for when W2K machines join W2K
LBaxter> controllers.

I'm not using a w2k domain controller ... i'm using samba as pdc ...
and by the way .. i have succeeded .. my w2k machine is now a part of
my domain ... but i can't log in with an normal user account .. it
exists in the smbpasswd file .. it reports that it can't log me on
because i have supplied the correct password .... could it be because
i added the user account when samba was using unencrypted passwords ???

just a quick little question here on the side line ....
is it possible to access the samba server from the web, ie.
log in on the pdc and work with it as it im logged in via the
lan ?????
--
Hilsen/Best regards,
 Dennis                            mailto:sak at 12move.dk
 ICQ: 95538209
 IRC: EU.undernet.org #startrek-central-denmark
 WWW: http://privnet.dyndns.dk