Upgrade Samba PDC from 2.2.0 -> 2.2.2

Andreas Haumer andreas at xss.co.at
Thu Jan 10 03:40:03 GMT 2002

Hi!

After a few days of running under testing conditions I want
to report my experiences with the samba PDC upgrade.

"Gerald (Jerry) Carter" wrote:

> On Sat, 22 Dec 2001, Andreas Haumer wrote:
>
> > My question is: now that samba uses a lot of database files
> > which are not easily human-readable ("/var/lock/samba/*.tdb"
> > with samba-2.2.0, "/var/cache/samba/*.tdb" with samba-2.2.2),
> > and also some files in /etc/samba/ ("secrets.tdb", "MACHINE.SID"),
> > what are the files to save during the update? What files can
> > be deleted, what files must not be deleted?
> > Can I just copy all the files from "/var/lock/samba/" to
> > "/var/cache/samba/"?
>
> For smbd (as a PDC) you need to save
>
>         nt*.tdb
>         share_info.tdb (if you have changed and default share ACLs)
>         secrets.tdb (contains domain SID)
>         smb.conf (include smbpasswd and any username map file)
>
> Winbind did not exist in 2.2.0 but for future reference,
> you should also save all of winbind's idmap.tdb files.
>
> I would recommend tarring up the entire /usr/local/samba/
> directory prior to the upgrade (good practice IMO).
>
> > Is there a "samba-upgrade-HOWTO" somewhere? Does anyone
> > out there have any experience with such an update on a
> > samba PDC server in production use? Any tips & tricks?
>
> I should go smoothly I would expect.  If something fails, you
> be able to back out the upgrade as well.

I did a RPM upgrade with self-maintained samba RPM's and
carefully handcrafted and tested RPM install-scripts.

These scripts did all the file moving, and it was indeed
quite simple.

Before upgrading I made a complete backup of all the data files,
but it turned out I didn't need it.

But even so we had a nasty problem after upgrading!

I this particular installation we have mixed-case usernames
like "User" (the first character is in upper case).

This already gave me headaches with the samba password change
function (someone remember my posting to samba-technical from
June 2001?)

Now, after upgrading from samba-2.2.0 to samba-2.2.2 we
logged in as "User", and we found ourselfs with a completely
new profile. All the configuration information which were
stored in the profile were gone. Obviously the W2K workstation
couldn't find the user's profile on the server, and so created
a new one. It even deleted all the Outlook mail folders and
created new ones! (no way to stop W2K doing this, I just hate
this OS!)

After log out from the windows workstation, we found
two profile directories on the server:

".../profiles/User/" and ".../profiles/user/"

So, the original profile directory (with all the profile
information) was still there. And additionally the client
created a new one with all lowercase characters.

Note that in smb.conf the parameters "case sensitive" and
"preserve case" were all commented out, so we related on
samba's default behaviour.

Our logon path is configured as follows:

logon path = \\server\Profiles\%U

And the profile share is:

[Profiles]
   comment = Share for user profiles
   path = /home/samba/profiles
   browseable = no
   guest ok = yes
   writeable = yes
   create mask = 0600
   directory mask = 0700

We didn't change a single character in the samba configfile,
so it seems there was a change in samba's behaviour in this
area. Is this true?

I then tried to set the following parameters:

case sensitive = no (which should have been the default, anyway)
preserve case = no (maybe an overkill)

That way it works now with the original, mixed-case profile
directories, though I'd rather set "preserve case" to "yes"
again. I think this shouldn't be a problem, as I believe it's
the "case sensitive = no" parameter which is needed here.

I'm still wondering why it did work with samba 2.2.0 in the
default configuration, but didn't work with samba 2.2.2

Did the "%U" variable substitution change somehow?
Should it be "%u"?

Any explanation?

- andreas

Andreas Haumer                     | mailto:andreas at xss.co.at
*x Software + Systeme              | http://www.xss.co.at/
Karmarschgasse 51/2/20             | Tel: +43-1-6060114-0
A-1100 Vienna, Austria             | Fax: +43-1-6060114-71