SAMBA -> printer driver and windows forms

christoph.beyer at desy.de christoph.beyer at desy.de
Thu Jan 10 02:29:04 GMT 2002

hi,

I still have the problem described below, the drivers on the SAMBA server
are predefined correctly, the standard settings for documents are set to
'A4' thoughi tdoesn't work :-(

I'm using SAMBA 2.2.0 and LPRng 3.8.3 on SOLARIS 2.7 to offer printservice
for ~2.300 NT 4.0 clients. Everything works fine, I use the feature to
preconfigure the NT drivers on the printserver which makes my NT clients
think they talk to a NT server :-)

The most annoying problem is that the SAMBA server doesn't know the paper
size A4 (which is the default format in europe). Though the driver comes
with 'A4' as default format from the server the NT clients change the
entry to 'A4 small' or 'letter' I think because they don't find the 'A4
forms' entry in the registry.

Using the server properties card from a NT box I can add forms to the
server but not a 'A4' called form, because it exists already and I don't
have the right to replace or change it (I have admin rights on the NT
machine). To me it looks like if I see a mixture in the dialogue between the forms on the SAMBA server and lokal
forms that come probably with NT.

Is there any way to get rid of this problem, like a different way to add a
forms entry to the SAMBA server? Maybe I'm on a completely wrong way and
the problem can be solved somewhere else (?)

Another thing that happens quite often: Deleting a printjob in the
NT queue window results from time to time in a renaming of the job and the
message 'command didn't succeed' the job in the NT queue window in that
case gets renamed from its original name e.g. 'my_document' to the name
of the SAMBA tmp file e.g. 'SMBPRN.123'. Deleting this job again is then
successful, I played around a bit but all I can say is that the lprm
command doesn't get executed on the first try, is it a name mapping
problem (?):

        print command = /usr/spool/lp/bin/lpr -r -Fl -m%m -U%U -P%p %s
        lpq command = /usr/spool/lp/bin/samba/%u/lpq -P%p
        lprm command = /usr/spool/lp/bin/lprm -U%U -P%p %j

thank you for any hint and the great improvements in printing integration
through SAMBA in the 2.2.0 release

	~christoph

/*   Christoph Beyer     |   Office: Building 2b / 23     *\
 *   DESY                |   Phone: 040-8998-2317         *
 *   - IT -              |   Fax: 040-8998-4060           *
\*   22603 Hamburg       |   http://www.desy.de           */