Unable to join Win2k Pro SP2 to Samba 2.2.2 PDC

Gerald (Jerry) Carter jerry at samba.org
Thu Jan 10 00:55:33 GMT 2002

On Wed, 9 Jan 2002, Phil Chambers wrote:

> Section 8.4.1.tells you how to create machine trust accounts manually!
> That document does not say you can't use that for W2k.

I think there is some confusion between manual account creation
(smbpasswd -a -m MACHINE) and the "on-the-fly" method (add from the client
using an admin account).  The difference is really what happens at a
protocol level.

When you join a domain using the on-the-fly method, Win2k (or NT4)
uses the admin account to connect to the server and then uses that
password as a session key for communication.

* The add user script is only called if smbd cannot obtain a uid
  for the machine account.

* The on-the-fly way of joining a domain does not use the
  well known initial password for the machine account (NT hash
  of the machine's netbios name in lower case letter).

I think the latest version of the HOWTO (in 2.2.2) explain this
a little better in the past.  Hope it helps.

chau, jerry