Unable to join Win2k Pro SP2 to Samba 2.2.2 PDC

Phil Chambers P.A.Chambers at exeter.ac.uk
Wed Jan 9 07:17:07 GMT 2002

> you can't manually create machine accounts for win2k.
>
> For details go to
>
> http://us1.samba.org/samba/docs/Samba-HOWTO-Collection.html#SAMBA-PDC
>
> and look under section 8.4.2.
>
> Kohei

Section 8.4.1.tells you how to create machine trust accounts manually!  That
document does not say you can't use that for W2k.

I asked the list about this before Christmas and no-one said that "add user script"
was needed.  I set up the machine trust account manually and my W2k system reported
that it had joined the domain.  I was not able to login afterwards as a user though
and I still have not succeeded.  Given the messages I have had from other users, a
lot of people are having real problems with this.

Phil.