Easy way to working 2.2.2. domain controller on Mandrake 8.0 (was Re: profiles on Win2K)

Buchan Milne bgmilne at cae.co.za
Wed Jan 9 03:11:36 GMT 2002

Of course you could always just install the RPMs that you can find here:
http://ranger.dnsalias.com/mandrake/samba/

and read the docs linked to from there.

That can get you:
-a working domain controller, with roaming profiles, dynamic login scripts
-out-the-box (almost) point-and-print (just add yourself to printer admins)
-pam_smb
-almost-out-the-box working winbind
-XFS ACL support if you have the updated kernel (2.4.8-31.2mdk) from
Mandrake updates
-working nss_wins

Please use the default smb.conf supplied by the RPMS, unless you reckon
you want to set all the shares and settings up yourself, and know
smb.conf(5) like a friend. There are commented configs for all the
latest cool features in samba. Netlogon, profiles, print$ etc are all
there ready for you to uncomment.

Buchan

> Message: 4
> Date: Tue, 08 Jan 2002 14:40:05 +0000
> From: "Jon Gerdes" <gerdesj at whl.co.uk>
> To: <ladislav.kostal at fem.uniag.sk>
> Cc: <samba at lists.samba.org>
> Subject: Re: profiles on Win2K

> Ladislav
>
> OK you asked for it <g>.  Here's a blow by blow account of what I do to set=
>  up a PDC with roaming profiles under Samba:
>
> This is all on Mandrake 8.0, check binary paths.
> Samba 2.2.2 compiled up from source as follows -=20
>
> Make sure you have all the dependencies for PAM installed (PAM devel etc)
>
> #./configure \
>         --prefix=3D/usr \
>         --with-fhs \
>         --libdir=3D/etc/samba \
>         --localstatedir=3D/var \
>         --with-codepagedir=3D/usr/share/samba/codepages \
>         --with-configdir=3D/etc/samba \
>         --with-swatdir=3D/usr/share/swat \
>         --with-quotas \
>         --with-smbmount \
>         --with-pam \
>         --with-pam_smbpass \
>         --with-syslog \
>         --with-utmp \
>         --with-sambabook=3D/usr/share/swat/using_samba
>
> #make && make install
> #md /usr/share/samba     (if install fails at the codepages stage, then run=
>  make install again)
> #md /usr/share/swat  (might be needed before make install)
> #md /var/samba
> #md /etc/samba/private
>
> Now here's the smb.conf:

Cellphone * Work       +27 82 472 2231 * +27 21 808 2497 ext 202