Problems with Win2K SP2 and user profiles

Xavi Serrano xserrano at ac.upc.es
Wed Jan 9 03:06:02 GMT 2002

Hello all,

I recently came across a problem with Windows 2000 Server with Terminal Server
and Citrix Metaframe when installing Windows 2000 Service Pack 2
(with SP1 everything worked fine).

All our users have their home drive mapped at  Z:, which is served by
a Samba 2.2.2 server running on a Linux RedHat 7.0 box. The problem is that,
after installing Win2K SP2, users are not able to map their home drive
when logging in any more. Logs show the "access denied" error message.

(Our Samba server is not a PDC, an it does not store roaming profiles
either; profiles are stored in the Windows 2000 server, and authentication
is done using NIS).

However, once logged in, users are able to map another drive (not Z:) to
their home directory by providing their username and passwd. On the other hand,
when trying to map Z:, the "Drive already mapped to (empty)" error message
pops up, even though the "net use" command shows no mapping on drive Z: (!).

Any ideas? Any help will be very much appreciated...
Sorry if this has been posted before; I checked the recent archives,
but didn't find anything. The closest match in the archives is the
"Profile and Win2k SP2 problem" thread, which can be found in November 2001:
http://lists.samba.org/pipermail/samba/2001-November/060796.html
I've already tried the recommendations in the README.Win2kSP2 file in the
Samba distribution, but I get the same error.

Regards,
- Xavi.