MACHINE.SID

MCCALL,DON (HP-USA,ex1) don_mccall at hp.com
Tue Jan 8 15:35:41 GMT 2002

Hi Justin,
That is very weird.  Based on your smb.conf, I can't see how this could
happen.
Some things to look at:
1. is the netbios name (since you don't have it explicitly defined in
smb.conf, it should use your unix host name) of the samba server
    possibly conflicting with the pdc or bdc name or domainname?
2. do testparm  from the same directory that you are starting the nmbd and
smbd, and verify that the output matches what you have in
    your smb.conf file - maybe it is picking up old def's from a different
smb.conf?
3. You mention that you DON'T remove the MACHINE.SID file before joining the
new domain; have you tried renaming this file so samba
    can't find it, and then joining the domain again?  Maybe compare the
renamed MACHINE.SID with the new one created when you join
    the domain....

Assuming none of this highlights what the problem is, next best step is to
set debug=10, and rejoin the domain so we can see what
smbpasswd says, as well as the log.smbd and log.nmbd....

Hope this helps,
Don