Samba 2.2.2 printing problem

Lowe, Scott SLOWE at NAAG.ORG
Tue Jan 8 14:28:04 GMT 2002

Hello, all -

I am attempting to set up a point and print system between a Samba 2.2.2
server and some Windows 2000 Professional workstations.  So far, I'm not
having a lot of luck.

I have set up my smb.conf file as such:

[global]
        netbios name = PEAR
        encrypt passwords = Yes
        printer admin = slowe

[print$]
        path = /usr/local/samba/print
        write list = slowe
        read only = No
        guest ok = Yes

[HTDOCS]
        path = /usr/local/apache/htdocs
        read only = No
        guest ok = Yes

[wkbd]
        comment = Pear WK-BD
        path = /tmp
        guest ok = Yes
        printable = Yes
        printer name = WK-BD

I have created the directory structure:

/usr/local/samba/print
/usr/local/samba/print/W32X86
/usr/local/samba/print/WIN40

When I browse the Samba server from the Windows 2000 workstation, I am
greeted with my shares, the wkbd printer and the Printers option.  When I
double click printers, I get the list of printers which has wkbd in it.
When I administer wkbd and attempt to add additional drivers, I get the
following error message:

"Device settings cannot be displayed.  The driver for the specified printer
is not installed.  Only spooler properties will be displayed.  Do you want
to install the driver now?".  When I choose "No", I get the spooler
properties.  I choose "Sharing" to attempt to add drivers where I get the
following error message:

"Unable to install the Intel, Windows NT 4.0 or 2000 driver.  Operation
could not be completed."

I am logged into my Windows workstation as slowe, and I am definitely a
"printer admin" (I tested it).

The printer is an HP LaserJet 4M Plus.

Any ideas?

Scott