Samba to NT Domain

Rob Helmer robert at namodn.com
Tue Jan 8 11:14:05 GMT 2002

Hi Matt,

Hmm, I'm not sure if this works in all cases, but if I do this :

smbclient -L server -U username%password

The shell's errorlevel will be 0 if username%password is correct,
1 if it is incorrect.

You can just pipe the output of smbclient to /dev/null and depend
on the errorlevel.

Hopefully there is a nicer way to do this ( anyone know what Samba
uses internally for the "password server" option? is this exposed
to a command line interface somehwere? ), but this is the way I have
used so far to test usernames against a password server.

HTH,
Rob Helmer