Samba 2.2.2: more than 100 nmbd processes

Ionel GARDAIS igardais at yahoo.fr
Tue Jan 8 10:33:10 GMT 2002

I had the same problem and it happens again today !

Folks here told me about the Nimda Win32 Worm that is
trying to access the shares to spread.

One things with me is that these are smbd prcess that
are abnormaly high (10 processes with the same owner
from the same computer in 2 seconds)

After identifiing the original user that launch this
cascading smbd prcess starting, (the first listed with
a high amount of prcess of its own in doing a "ps
aux"), I just run "smbpasswd -d user" to unallow his
connection 'til I scan his files for viruses.

To conclude, as for you, I'm getting unable to kill
either smbd and nmbd process (even with
/etc/init.d/smb stop) and only a hard reset followed
by the traditionnal disk scan puts my server online
again.

info : RH 7.1, kernel 2.4.2 (2.4.16 ready but still
too fat :oP ), samba 2.2.2 (from samba.org rpm
pre-compiled distrib)

Hope you're feeling less alone,

cu

ioio