Samba steals my production domain!

Justin Weissig JWeissig at ACDSystems.com
Tue Jan 8 09:27:05 GMT 2002

Hi,

I am not sure if anyone can help me but I am a little lost as where to go
from here and maybe someone can point me in the right direction.

Here is an overview of my testing LAN.

I have created 2 windows NT 4.0 servers one of them is a PDC and one is a
BDC. I have tested with sp5 and sp6a. I have compiled from source samba
2.2.2 on redhat 7.1 on a third machine in my test LAN. I am able to join my
example domain and use winbind to authenticate users from the PDC & BDC on
samba shares. Everything works great!

The only catch is when I move this test server into our production
environment and attempt to join the server to our domain as a client the
join fails. And then our production PDC and BDC seem to get confused as to
who is the PDC and authentication requests seem to go to the samba server.

I have specifically stated in the configuration file to not act as a PDC. I
just want to host shares on this server.

Here is my smb.conf file from /etc/samba/smb.conf

<snip>

[global]

encrypt passwords = yes

winbind separator = +
winbind cache time = 10
template shell = /bin/bash
template homedir = /home/%D/%U
winbind uid = 10000-20000
winbind gid = 10000-20000
#winbind unum users = yes
#winbind unum groups = yes
workgroup = winserver
security = domain
password server = altec lansing

domain master = no
preferred master = no
domain logons = no

log file = /var/log/samba.log
log level = 3

[tmp]
comment = tmp file location
path = /tmp
read only = no
public = no

</snip>

Does anyone have an idea what I am doing wrong here?

Thanks
- Justin