Memory leak with XP Clients

Gerald (Jerry) Carter jerry at samba.org
Tue Jan 8 05:51:04 GMT 2002

On Mon, 7 Jan 2002, Steve Helder wrote:

> I am still having this problem and it is starting to unload programs
> on the server again, it only happens with our xp clients and not our
> win2k win9x/me clients.  There is no difference on the software being
> used on any of these but the xp is still taking quite a bit more Ram
> than the other clients that get identical use.
>
> Any suggestions on how I need to configure the xp clients? Again, I am
> having zero problems with my win2k or win9x/me clients running
> identical applications off of the samba server.
>
> My samba server is a PDC and I have no problem logging on

I'll have to look into it.  No idea right now.  Internally we use a
simple garbage collection based scheme for allocating memory
for RPC PDU's.  I've seen bugs in NT 4 where the client
sends a 12Mb PDU.  Perhaps your hitting s similar bug in XP.

Is the memory growth reproducible via a single action?
Can you send me a level 10 debug log

	log level = 10
	log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m

chau, jerry