HP Laserjet and "watermarks"

Rob Helmer robert at namodn.com
Tue Jan 8 00:14:07 GMT 2002

Hello,

On Mon, Jan 07, 2002 at 12:06:19PM -0800, Rob Helmer wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 06, 2002 at 07:44:48PM -0800, Rob Helmer wrote:
> > printing = cups
> > printcap name = lpstat
> > print command = /usr/bin/lp -d%p -oraw %s; rm %s
> > lpq command = /usr/bin/lpstat -o%p
> > lprm command = /usr/bin/cancel %p-%j
> > queuepause command = /usr/bin/disable %p
> > queueresume command = /usr/bin/enable %p
> >
> > -- end partial smb.conf
>
> Ok, the latest in this saga is that I am sure that the
> file being printed is not being mangled, I even went as
> far as temporarily setting "print command = mv %s /tmp/junk.%s"
> and examined the contents of /tmp/junk.*
>
> I see some @PJL commands, and the printer enters PCLXL mode
> ( the drivers on the Windows 2000 side are PCL, I *think* that
> the watermark feature is set through PCL, but I'm not sure ).
>
> I have been trying to find more info from HP's site, got some
> interesting stuff but nothing specific yet. If anyone has this
> working, please let me know, even if you didn't have to do anything
> funny to get it working.

Hmm, I also noticed a problem with the "Quickbooks" program today,
it seems to have some kind of internal print dialog that allows it
to set "landscape" or "portrait" mode.

Interestingly, the "print preview" function as well as the actual
printing does not result in the Samba-controlled printer printing
in "landscape" mode, but using the Win2k-controlled printer it
does.

I've noticed that the Samba-controlled printer shows up on a "local"
port AFA the driver is concerned, while the Win2k-controlled printer
seems to show up on an "HP Standard IP".

Perhaps the print driver and Quickbooks are both somehow contacting
the printer directly when they see that this is a "remote" printer?

I would *love* to document these kind of integration issues, if
I can just get my office converted... any ideas?

Does Samba need to show printers as "local Samba port" rather than
remote printers? Is this the completely wrong path :P ?

Thanks,
Rob Helmer
Namodn