2.2.2 Release incredibly broken?

Robert Blayzor noc at inoc.net
Mon Jan 7 19:27:02 GMT 2002

> IIRC this is due to the NT/2k client trying to issue a sam_logon call
> without first requesting the challenge?  Somethign like that.
>  Nothing jwe
> can do about it.  The Nt client backs down, requests the
> challenge, and
> then issues another sam_logon().  Should be fine.

I've read this and figured as much. :(  Is there no way to at least hush
this in the logs somehow.  As long as it is working, I guess it's no big
deal.  It just jams up the logs.

> Nope.  You've got sometyhing amiss there.  I don't have the
> original post
> handy.  I know you are running on FreeBSD from the ports collection.
> About how many shares?  anything peculiar about you setup we
> should know?
> Can describe youe network to use?  Is this a file server or
> primarily a
> print server?   How many (and what type of) clients?

The server is a FreeBSD_4 stable box.  Sync'd up latest.  I originally
installed Samba 2.2.2 from the FreeBSD ports collection.  I'm running
CVS version 2.2.3-PRE now.  The box is a dual proc P3 with a Gig of RAM.
Multi-homed via two 1Gbps NIC's on two different subnets.

The clients are a handful of Win2K SP2 machines and about 5-6 other
Windows 2000 servers running as stand alone servers.  We currently have
about 3-4 active shares, and not many connections.

The network use can be heavy at times since the mail store and the
webstore are on the same box accessing a LOT of smaller files that
probably consume a TON of inodes.  We are using the box for file sharing
only, we are using no printing on it.  The box also runs as an NFS
server...  It's main role is to serve files to *nix machines via NFS
(currently about 8 machines) and Win servers via Samba (currently ~6
machines).

Not really sure how much you want to know.  If you have more questions
or what outputs from something, let me know.

Just a side note, after installing 2.2.3-PRE I notice that smbstatus
reports some strange PID's under "Locked files:"

Locked files:
Pid    DenyMode   R/W        Oplock           Name
1010454154  DENY_WRITE LEVEL_II         test.mp3   Sun Apr  1 12:10:13
2029