Info on Winbind drastically needed please.

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at pcug.org.au
Mon Jan 7 14:59:17 GMT 2002

Mark Cooke wrote:

> So am I correct in thinking that for every user that tries to log in
> using winbind, that even though it says in the smb.conf file:
>  template homedir = /home/%D/%U
>
> that you have to manually create every user's home dir that may login to
> the linux box?
>
> As we have about 350 users on out NT domain, its seems a bit excessive
> to manually do that for every user that might login.
>
> I assumed that as it says template, that it would use a template to
> create a users home dir.
>
> If this is incorrect, would it be implemented in the future on samba to
> automatically create the user is the user is successfully authenticated
> ?

This thread really belongs on samba at samba.org, where I just finished
telling two people the same thing I am about to tell you...

pam_mkhomedir will do what you want.  It creates home directories on the
fly from a standard skel dir.  Best combined with the 'obey pam
restrictions' option, as this allows samba to use it as well (Samba must
then have an /etc/pam.d/samba file correctly installed).

Setup pam_mkhomedir as a session module in either /etc/pam.d/system-auth
or as appropiate (varies on a per-system basis) and it will make home
directories for you :-).

Andrew Bartlett

Andrew Bartlett                                 abartlet at pcug.org.au
Manager, Authentication Subsystems, Samba Team  abartlet at samba.org