HP Laserjet and "watermarks"

Rob Helmer robert at namodn.com
Mon Jan 7 12:10:07 GMT 2002

On Sun, Jan 06, 2002 at 07:44:48PM -0800, Rob Helmer wrote:
> > On Sun, Jan 06, 2002 at 09:37:57PM -0500, Rashkae wrote:
> > > Are you sure LPD is not filtering the print job somehow? Samba just sends
> > > print jobs to LPD like any other unix application, so any changes probably
> > > happen there.
> <- snip ->
>
> Ok, after digging around a bit in the CUPS documentation and elsewhere,
> I have come up with this config :
>
> -- begin partial smb.conf --
>
> printing = cups
> printcap name = lpstat
> print command = /usr/bin/lp -d%p -oraw %s; rm %s
> lpq command = /usr/bin/lpstat -o%p
> lprm command = /usr/bin/cancel %p-%j
> queuepause command = /usr/bin/disable %p
> queueresume command = /usr/bin/enable %p
>
> -- end partial smb.conf

Ok, the latest in this saga is that I am sure that the
file being printed is not being mangled, I even went as
far as temporarily setting "print command = mv %s /tmp/junk.%s"
and examined the contents of /tmp/junk.*

I see some @PJL commands, and the printer enters PCLXL mode
( the drivers on the Windows 2000 side are PCL, I *think* that
the watermark feature is set through PCL, but I'm not sure ).

I have been trying to find more info from HP's site, got some
interesting stuff but nothing specific yet. If anyone has this
working, please let me know, even if you didn't have to do anything
funny to get it working.

Thanks,
Rob Helmer
Namodn