Printing with SAMBA and a Windows 2000 Client... !??

Dimitry Vink dimitry_vink at hotmail.com
Mon Jan 7 08:57:02 GMT 2002

Hello All (and perhaps Kevin Wilson ?),

I found this email conversation below, in the Mailing List archive.
(It's quite a story to read, sorry.)

I have the exact same problem:
I can see my shares from any Windows machine (Win 2K and Win ME) without any
problems.
But I cannot install the printer (connected to the Linux server) on the Win
2K (or XP) machine. I can install and print from the Windows Me machine
without any problem.

I have been looking at both the HP.com and Microsoft.com sites, but they
always refer to the installation CD-ROM of Windows 2000. There are no
separate drivers available.
The problem is: I don't know where to find the installation files (*.inf) or
printer drivers on that CD-ROM they keep on referring me to!

I was hoping Kevin Wilson or anyone else could specify his previous answer a
bit more.
Or is there any other way, I can get a simple DeskJet printer to work via
Samba for Windows 2000 ??

Kind Regards,
Dimitry Vink

From:     kevin.wilson at ntlworld.com
Date:     2001-09-15 11:07:16

Hello,

I have had this before, I am running SUSE 6.4 with Samba 2.2.0
acting as a PDC for a NT4 Workstation and a NT2000 Workstation.

How I got around it, was to use the drivers from the Windows server
CD (a directory on the CD called Printers). If the drivers needed
were for a NT4 Workstation, then NT4 Server CD was needed. If it
was for NT2000 Workstation, then NT2000 Server CD was needed.

This is how I got around it, A don't know if it is a bug or just the
way it works. Hope this helps.

Kevin