RESOLVED: Well it was working ... (Samba)

Julian Opificius julianop at mninter.net
Mon Jan 7 04:47:02 GMT 2002

I found the problem. Culpa mea, naturally.
After setting up a DNS server on the Linux box, I had also revised the
resolve order in Samba to put lmhosts first, and then I created a lmhosts
file in /etc/samba. The problem was that I'd inadvertently swapped the IPs
of two machines in the lmhosts file - the two Windows machines I tried to
test with, naturally. Had I tried accessing a share on the third machine,
it would have worked, and given me a clue to the problem. Lastly, at debug
level three, Samba kept giving me message telling me about it's efforts to
connect to the wrong IP, but I was ignoring it. The clue was staring me in
the face.

The morals of the story, of course, are "only mess with one thing at a
time", "test thoroughly before jumping to conclusions", and "use the debug
info - that's what it's for".

But we all now know that mismatching of IP address mappings between Netbios
and TCP/IP can cause a "called name not present" error.

Many sincere thanks to those who put time into the problem for me.

julian.
=============================
I did it, I broke the cardinal rule "if it ain't broke, don't fix it", and
I made a configuration change to Samba.
It was in the area of preferred master/local master/domain master, and I
did it as a recommended  change while setting up DNS.

Now, when I try to map Win98 shares on my RH7.2 Linbox I get ...

6278: session request to MONSTA failed (Called name not present)
6278: session request to *SMBSERVER failed (Called name not present)
SMB connection failed

I've tried various rebootings, but to no avail.
The mapping was set up in fstab and hasn't been changed.
The Win98 shares are visible and accessible on other WIn98 boxes on the LAN
(I don't have another Linbox yet to try that test).

Linux shares still map into Win98 OK.

Could somebody give me a pointer here, please?

Julian.

Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they aren't after me ...

Julian Opificius. ICQ 3268206.