Help: Problems with Samba-2.2.2 as PDC

Gunther Hess -EDV- ghess at elmos.de
Mon Jan 7 02:35:05 GMT 2002

Hi out there,
for quit a while i was running Samba-2.0.6 a a primary domain-controller
at Elmos Semiconductor AG. After Christmas 2001, we tried to update to
samba-2.2.2, which was tested with a few users for quite a while.

Everything, especially ACL-, msdfs- and win2k-support as well
as the domain-integration by the pseudo-root-user worked fine.

But already under half-load (slighly below 200 clients) our
Fileserver/PDC almost broke down under the Samba-Load:

  - Sun E220 (2x 450MHz U2 with 2G Memory) and Solaris-8 MU6
  - Samba compiled by gcc 2.95.2

Since our secondary Servers (also with Samba 2.2.2, but running
under Solaris 2.6) worked well, we tried to use the PDC (split
from the fileserver) with Solaris 2.6. It worked well, with about
100 Users, but when the daily-login-ceremony started at 8:45am we
had a breakdown again.

I had no choice, but downgrade to Samba 2.0.6. Nevertheless, i
still want the new samba up'n running, but a need some help
in locating the problem.

If anyone out there is willing to help, i can provide all
details of our configuration.

Regards
Gunther
--
Dr. Gunther Hess           Elmos Semiconductor AG
Tel.: ++49 +231 7549-520   Heinrich Hertz Str. 1