HP Laserjet config + NetBIOS alias question

Rob Helmer robert at namodn.com
Sun Jan 6 19:48:02 GMT 2002

> On Sun, Jan 06, 2002 at 09:37:57PM -0500, Rashkae wrote:
> > Strange.....
> >
> > Are you sure LPD is not filtering the print job somehow? Samba just sends
> > print jobs to LPD like any other unix application, so any changes probably
> > happen there.
<- snip ->

Ok, after digging around a bit in the CUPS documentation and elsewhere,
I have come up with this config :

-- begin partial smb.conf --

printing = cups
printcap name = lpstat
print command = /usr/bin/lp -d%p -oraw %s; rm %s
lpq command = /usr/bin/lpstat -o%p
lprm command = /usr/bin/cancel %p-%j
queuepause command = /usr/bin/disable %p
queueresume command = /usr/bin/enable %p

-- end partial smb.conf

Unfortunately, the printer is at work so I will have to
report success or failure tomorrow :) All I can do from
here is testparm this new smb.conf and restart Samba.

I do have another question, this came up before I noticed
the "watermark" issue :

This Samba server currently is in use as a development machine, so
it's NetBIOS name is DEV. It uses NetBIOS aliases to answer as
PRINTSERVER and FILESERVER.

However, I noticed that if I add a printer as \\PRINTSERVER\HP_BW
( where HP_BW is our black&white HP printer ), Windows 2000 will
actually ends up using \\DEV\HP_BW. My whole reason for using the
NetBIOS aliases was so I could get printing services moved, and
then set up a new box for file and print services, and users
would not have to remap shares and printers from their desktops.

Have I misunderstood the intent of the "netbios aliases" parameter?

Can I just alias another IP onto the Samba box and run two copies
of smbd and nmbd ( perhaps with different names, installed in
different locations so I can tell them apart when they are running )
and get the behaviour I desire, which is to have the clients truly
believe they are mapped to \\PRINTSERVER and \\FILESERVER rather
than \\DEV ?

Thanks,
Rob Helmer