HP Laserjet and "watermarks"

Rob Helmer robert at namodn.com
Sun Jan 6 18:54:05 GMT 2002

Hi Rashkae,

On Sun, Jan 06, 2002 at 09:37:57PM -0500, Rashkae wrote:
> Strange.....
>
> Are you sure LPD is not filtering the print job somehow? Samba just sends
> print jobs to LPD like any other unix application, so any changes probably
> happen there.

Oops, knew I forgot something :) I am using CUPS. Now that you mention
it though, I should go back and make sure CUPS isn't doing anything funny
to the document on the way through.

I have "printing = cups" in my smb.conf, but I letting samba use the
BSD-compatible CUPS package ( lpr, lpd, etc ) so perhaps I should take
a close look at my overall printing config.

> To create a filter that does not modify the print job in any way shape or
> form, create a new file on Linux with:
>
> #! /bin/sh
> cat -
>
> Make this file executable by all.
>
> # chmod ugo+x filename
>
> and speficy this as the input filter in the appropriate spot of your
> /etc/printcap file
>
> :if=/path/filename:
>
> This was the reader's digest version. I hope it all makes sense.
>
> Of course, you could just remove the input filter entirely from Printcap.
> I remember that when I did that once, I could not figure out how to stop
> lpd from printing 'job header' pages, but when I used the above filter,
> everything worked as expected. This is no doubt to do with my inability to
> grok the printcap file. It has very strange and strict format
> requirements.

Thanks for the suggestion! I will take a look at my CUPS config and
see if I can come up with something, I'll send a message back to the
list once I get it going.

Thanks,
Rob Helmer