DHCP and WINS.... wins.dat is out of date

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at pcug.org.au
Sun Jan 6 16:49:30 GMT 2002

Paul Miller wrote:

> My wins.dat seems to be rather out of date.  I'm running Samba 2.2.2 as a wins server with dhcp.  When the client address changes, Samba doesn't seem to update wins.  The clients are Win2k & WinXP.  In the manual page, it suggests that I shouldn't change the max/min ttl parameters.  Can I hook dhcp to samba somehow?

The way I do this with my networks is as follows:

ISC DHCP 3.0

ISC BIND 8 or 9

Samba (2.2 will do)

Setup the dhcpd.conf to give out the wins server's address:
    option netbios-name-servers 192.168.2.99, 192.168.2.99;
(yes twice, it helps when the server is down, client retries for twice
as long)

Also setup dynamic dns (see dhcpd.conf manpage).

Setup Samba as a wins server, but also set 'dns proxy = yes'.   This
will mean that any host in DNS (now kept sane by dynamic DNS) will also
appear as a WINS host.

I don't attempt to update DNS from wins becouse I find the DHCP way
sufficient, all windows clients supply their machinename as requested
and it 'just works'.

Andrew Bartlett
Andrew Bartlett                                 abartlet at pcug.org.au
Manager, Authentication Subsystems, Samba Team  abartlet at samba.org