Winbindd - wbinfo -t fails, but everything else works

Jerry Murdock jmurdock at itraktech.com
Sun Jan 6 13:00:36 GMT 2002

----- Original Message -----
From: "Tim Potter" <tpot at samba.org>
To: "Jerry Murdock" <jmurdock at itraktech.com>
Cc: <samba at lists.samba.org>
Sent: Sunday, January 06, 2002 1:30 AM
Subject: Re: Winbindd - wbinfo -t fails, but everything else works

> On Fri, Jan 04, 2002 at 11:56:10AM -0500, Jerry Murdock wrote:
>
> > In testing under 3.0a12, I have windbindd running, but wbinfo -t gives:
> >
> > Secret is bad
> > 0xc00000e5
> >
> > I have successfully joined the domain with "net rpc join" and all other
> > wbinfo  option works, including user authentication using -a.
>
> This error is produced if winbind can't read the trust account password
> from secrets.tdb.
>
> Is there anything in the winbindd log file about failing to open
> secrets.tdb?

No.  At -d4 the only thing added to the log when executing wbinfo -t is:

[2002/01/06 14:38:04, 3]
nsswitch/winbindd_misc.c:winbindd_check_machine_acct(58)
  [82765]: check machine account

This is a recently wiped, "new" test machine and only 3.0a12 has been
attempted on it.

If I rename my secrets.tdb, winbind will create a new one in the same
location.

> Also if you are doing anything tricky with multiple branches of Samba you
> might like to check your configuration.  Winbindd may be looking in a
> different directory for the secrets.tdb file than smbpasswd or net.

Could it possibly FreeBSD related?.  I originally configured
using --with-winbind, and didn't notice until later that configure states
winbindd is only supported on Linux/Sun.

I'm most interested in Winbindd for use with Squid's new winbind based ntlm
auth module, so PAM may support may not be needed.  Squid may work OK now even
with the error, I haven't had a chance to test the squid side yet (on the list
for this week).

I would love to see pam_winbind on FBSD though.  Are there any plans to
officially support FreeBSD?

Thanks,
Jerry