winbindd and user home creation

Trevor Avery tavery at morgan.ucs.mun.ca
Sun Jan 6 07:57:04 GMT 2002

The two suggestions for creating the home directories are fine, but can
anyone be more specific with what a "preexec" script is or how to
incorporate that into the homes section? Also, I have searched for
pam_mkhomedir and have found scant information. Please post a link to more
information. Preferably a location that has a "recipe" of sorts to get
home directories created.

A new question: Can group shares be setup for winbind accounts? i.e. will
the group information be read from the NT accounts so that shares can be
setup for groups as well as individuals? Does this have to be done through
a module like pam_mkhomedir or can the directories be hard coded for group
access and shared via samba to be accessed by users without recreating
directories all the time?

cheers,
tavery

On Fri, 4 Jan 2002, Gerald (Jerry) Carter wrote:

> On Fri, 4 Jan 2002, Anthony J. Breeds-Taurima wrote:
>
> > On Thu, 3 Jan 2002, Brian Whitehead wrote:
> >
> > > Does anyone have any good information on the creation of home directories on
> > > the Samba server when using Winbind?  I'm trying to figure out how to set a
> > > users home directory on a Win2K server to a directory that resides on a
> > > Linux server running Samba/Winbind.  Obviously if I'm running winbind then
> > > the accounts/directories don't exist.  Is there a way to have this done
> > > automatically or does it have to be done manually for each account?  The
> > > docs on Winbind are lacking of good information on everything but simple
> > > setup.
> >
> > Look at pam_mkhome  shouel be standard with pam 0.7X
>
> Or a simple root preexec script on [homes] if accessing from a Windows
> client.
>

> chau, jerry
>  Hewlett-Packard                                     http://www.hp.com
>  SAMBA Team                                       http://www.samba.org
>  --                                            http://www.plainjoe.org
>  "Sam's Teach Yourself Samba in 24 Hours" 2ed.      ISBN 0-672-32269-2
>  --"I never saved anything for the swim back." Ethan Hawk in Gattaca--
>

> --

No witty little comment has been found to be worthy of this space

Ocean Sciences Centre,
Memorial University of Newfoundland,
St. John's, NF,
A1C 5S7