Samba without NBT

John Appleby john at dnsworld.co.uk
Sun Jan 6 04:49:08 GMT 2002

Hi,

I've just been playing with disabling NetBIOS over TCP/IP on my network.
Apologies if this post goes over material that's been covered before - I
have looked through the archives and I've not found a discussion on
it...

Not surprisingly, samba doesn't work out the box with this
configuration, since Win2k clients make SMB connections on port 445 - so
I disabled WINS and NBT in my smb.conf and bound smbd to port 445 with
"smbd -p 445", didn't bother restarting nmbd, and all seems to be
working just great.

So really I'm just wondering if anyone else has tried this combination,
if there's maybe a configuration option in smb.conf that allows you to
specify Disable NetBIOS over TCP/IP and hence bind smbd from 139 to 445.
Or even if I've missed something pretty obvious that will mess things up
down the line.

Thanks,

John