well it WAS working ...

Julian Opificius julianop at mninter.net
Sat Jan 5 18:41:04 GMT 2002

Urban,
At 01:02 AM 1/6/02 +0100, you wrote:
>On Sat, 5 Jan 2002, Julian Opificius wrote:
>
> > Now, when I try to map Win98 shares on my RH7.2 Linbox I get ...
> >
> > 6278: session request to MONSTA failed (Called name not present)
> > 6278: session request to *SMBSERVER failed (Called name not present)
> > SMB connection failed
>
>Your win98 does not like the netbios name "MONSTA" (and no win9x likes
>being called *SMBSERVER).
It's always been called monsta. I've no idea where *SMBSERVER comes from.
Sure ain't my doing! (Samba is not case sensitive by default, is?)

>Fix the netbios name used in the mount (in fstab) to be the one win98
>calls itself. If you have been changing the DNS around I guess it is
>possible that the client can't look up the IP of the server.

Linbox can get the IP of monsta - at least with a ping, but Samba uses
Netbios names, doesn't it? I wonder if there's a problem there ...

fstab is correct, always has been. Linbox can't sees any of my other
winboxen either - same problem - and they don't have entries in fstab, so
it isn't that.

Now I notice on bootup that somebody modfied fstab - added things like
guest,noauto, and stuff, but it didn't change the name.

Must be something to do with Netbios, I guess.

Thanks for the clues !

julian.

> > Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they aren't after me ...
>
>Behind you!
>
>/Urban

Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they aren't after me ...

Julian Opificius. ICQ 3268206.