protecting Win shares from viruses on Linux side

Urban Widmark urban at teststation.com
Fri Jan 4 09:44:03 GMT 2002

On Fri, 4 Jan 2002, Ionel GARDAIS wrote:

> 1 month ago, my samba server crashes every time a
> certain user logs on.
> As some of you told me, the problem is the nimda Win32
> worm.

Interesting. Crashing is certainly not something smbd is allowed to do. :)
Bug or misconfiguration ... ?

> Do you know were can I found a linux Win32-viruses
> anti-virus that will scan every new files on a Samba
> share ?

You really should search on google ("linux anti-virus"). I don't know
about anything that checks every new file, but here are a few links:

http://www.kaspersky.com/
http://www.av-test.org/
http://open.jeffersonhospital.org/tju/dis/virus/resources.html

It also works to run an anti-virus program on a windows machine and check
the shares over the network.

/Urban