Proper domain join

Sam Suh sam at bigstudios.com
Fri Jan 4 07:41:06 GMT 2002

Hello. I have recently set up another secondary Samba server within my
shop with RAID 5 due to the increasing need for more storage. I have
this problem I would like to resolve. I been surfing the net and asking
around my contacts to resolve this problem, yet both did not turn up any
solution. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Samba version: 2.2.2, compiled from source
OS: freeBSD 4.4 stable
Global section of smb.conf:
creemore.bigstudios.com:/usr/local/samba/lib $ less smb.conf
# Samba config file created using SWAT
# from 192.168.75.105 (192.168.75.105)
# Date: 2002/01/04 09:57:37

# Global parameters
[global]
        workgroup = RADIANT
        security = SERVER
        encrypt passwords = Yes
        update encrypted = Yes
        password server = foam
        passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
        passwd chat = *ew*password:* %n\n *e-enter*new*password:* %n\n
        max log size = 50
        os level = 0
        preferred master = False
        local master = No
        domain master = False
        dns proxy = No
        comment = Samba %v
        guest account = guest
        create mask = 0664
        force create mode = 0664
        directory mask = 0775
        force directory mode = 0775
        hosts allow = 192.168.75.
        print command =

[homes]
        comment = Home Directories
        read only = No
        browseable = No

[printers]
        comment = All Printers
        path = /tmp
        create mask = 0700
        guest ok = Yes
        printable = Yes
        browseable = No

[tmp]
        comment = Temporary file space
        path = /tmp
        read only = No
        guest ok = Yes

[jobs]
        path = /jobs
        read only = No
        guest ok = Yes

Description of problem:

I have 2.2.0-alpha Samba server as primary and I would like to set this
machine as secondary server. Primary is PDC and NIS master. Machine I
need to set up is NIS client. My users can view and browse the secondary
server. Read and write works as well. However, I believe my secondary
server did not join the domain properly. If I were to execute smbclient
command, it gives me this

creemore.bigstudios.com:/usr/local/samba/bin $ ./smbclient -U% -L
localhost
added interface ip=192.168.75.108 bcast=192.168.75.255
nmask=255.255.255.0
session setup failed: ERRSRV - ERRbadpw (Bad password - name/password
pair in a Tree Connect or Session Setup are invalid.)

I have 2.0.6 Samba server on IRIX as secondary Samba server which was
built by sys admin before I came. Its smb.conf is identical to above
except for share location. If I were to execute smbclient command
against that, I get this.

creemore.bigstudios.com:/usr/local/samba/bin $ ./smbclient -U% -L
hercules
added interface ip=192.168.75.108 bcast=192.168.75.255
nmask=255.255.255.0
Domain=[RADIANT] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 2.0.6]

        Sharename      Type      Comment
        ---------      ----      -------
        tmp            Disk      Temporary file space
        jobs           Disk      Samba 2.0.6
        jobs2          Disk      Samba 2.0.6
        /n/dskServer5  Disk      Samba 2.0.6
        IPC$           IPC       IPC Service (Samba 2.0.6)
        BigPrinter     Printer

        Server               Comment
        FOAM                 Samba 2.2.0-alpha0
        HERCULES             Samba 2.0.6