ghost machines, revisited

Keith Warno keith.warno at valaran.com
Thu Jan 3 13:07:02 GMT 2002

It has always been the master browser on the particular subnet it's on.
  BTW, the the way of SMB clients on this one net there is only one: the
samba server itself.

[2002/01/03 15:05:29, 0]
nmbd/nmbd_become_dmb.c:become_domain_master_stage2(117)
   *****

   Samba server BIGBIRD is now a domain master browser for workgroup
WORKGROUP on subnet 192.168.1.10

   *****
[2002/01/03 15:05:42, 0]
nmbd/nmbd_become_lmb.c:become_local_master_stage2(405)
   *****

   Samba name server BIGBIRD is now a local master browser for workgroup
WORKGROUP on subnet 192.168.1.10

   *****

I'm wondering if there is another samba server on the net here somewhere
I've forgotten about which is
a) in it's own subnet and thus a master browser for that net
b) configured to sync it's browse list with the the box that is the WINS
server via the "remote browse sync" directive (which is really not
required here)

Chances are there is cuz I've been experimenting with samba since the
2.2 series came around.  There sure as hell isn't another samba WINS
server around; I wouldn't have consciously done that.  ;-)