ghost machines, revisited

Rashkae rashkae at wealthmap.ca
Thu Jan 3 12:09:02 GMT 2002

Umm, maybe someone could educamate me here....

Why would Clients be polling a stray WINS server unless they were
explicitly instructed (configured) to do so?

As a related question, have you had a look at winipcfg on the clients to
check and see if the DHCP server might be assigning some unwanted values
to WINS?

On Thu, 3 Jan 2002, Keith Warno wrote:

James W. Beauchamp wrote:

> Sounds to me like you've go another WINS server running (unauthorized of
> course) somewhere.  Maybe some WIndoze box somewhere?  NT server or 2000 web
> server maybe.

Yes this is certainly a theory.  Although I though win2k clients (not
server) were capable of doing this??

I *do* have one win2k server running but it is completely off in it's
own land (all by his lonesome in his own subnet); I do not administer
the machine though as it is used for our voice network (not my cup o'
java).  AFAIK that machine is not even in the same workgroup.

Is there some easy means by which to tell if there is a stray WINS
server out there?