Unable to lookup user names for display redux

Patrick Reid p.j.reid at earthling.net
Thu Jan 3 05:46:01 GMT 2002

Some may recall that my 2.2.2 Samba domain server doesn't allow users on
Win2k machines to set access permissions to shares using the domain users
list, but returns an error after you pick a user off the list: "Unable to
lookup user names for display".

Oddly enough, it turns out that I can do this on Windows 98 machines
attached to the domain. I changed the settings to allow it to use user-level
access control and was able to set permissions on shares on those machiens
using the user list provided by the Samba domain controller.

Does anyone have an idea as to why one would work but not the other?

Patrick Reid