SAMBA NEWBIE ?

Hidong Kim kim at emeraldbiostructures.com
Wed Jan 2 19:39:02 GMT 2002

I'm a Samba tyro with similar problems.  I just set up Samba 2.2.1a on a
Red Hat 7.2 machine.  I set up some public directories with smbuser:smb
ownership which I can access on our Windows 2000 machines.  Now I want
to make a directory on the Linux machine which I own (kim:users
ownership) accessible by me alone on the Windows machines.  I created a
share using SWAT.  I can see the share in the Windows Network
Neighborhood.  When I try to open that share, I get prompted for a
username and password.  I've tried every combination I can think of, but
I can't get into the directory from the Windows side.  I should mention
that my username and password on our Linux NIS network are different
from my username and password on our Windows domain.  Here's the entry
from /etc/samba/smb.conf created by SWAT:

[emeraldkim]
        path = /sigourney/kim/emerald
        guest account = hkim
        read only = No

hkim is my user name on the Windows domain.  Also, I want to be able to
access all of the subdirectories of this directory.  How would I enable
that?  Here's the permission of the parent directory:

drwxr-xr-x  151 kim      users        5120 Dec 20 22:14 emerald

Thanks,

Hidong