SAMBA NEWBIE ?

Herb Lewis herb at sgi.com
Wed Jan 2 16:48:07 GMT 2002

You cannot do this with the automatic [homes] share (unless you want
jo to have access to everyones home share. Create a share name [ernie]
and add a "valid users = ernie jo" to that share definition. You may
also have to play around with the permissions if you want him to have
write access as well.

Ernie Schroder wrote:

> Hi All,
>         I have taken a limited look at archives and I guess my level of patience
> isn't what it used to be...  How can I allow windows user (jo) password=
> xxxxx access to home/ernie on a RH7.2 box user = (ernie) password = yyyyy ?
> I can get there if I log onto the windows box as ernie with password yyyyy
> but would like to avoid the log off/log on if I can, and I don't want users
> on jo to have my password.
>         Using SWAT I added user jo with password xxxxx and enabled user then
> restarted smbd and nmbd. What am I missing?
> --
> Regards, Ernie
> Guaranteed 100% Microsoft and Intel free
>
> --

Herb Lewis                               Silicon Graphics
Networking Engineer                      1600 Amphitheatre Pkwy MS-510
Strategic Software Organization          Mountain View, CA  94043-1351
herb at sgi.com                             Tel: 650-933-2177
http://www.sgi.com                       Fax: 650-932-2177